[hackerspaces] Tips and Tricks (Was Women in Makerspaces)

Rhys Rhaven rhys at rhavenindustrys.com
Fri Jan 18 15:28:19 CET 2013

This isn't off topic at all. /Thank you. /Forwarding email to our PR
dude. To #4, I'd like to mention this to help other spaces. We have a
safe space agreement that could be copied.
http://wiki.pumpingstationone.org/Safe_space_agreement_proposal

As long as your board gets the ideas of openness, we put them out (could
be more prominent) that if you have a problem with the space feeling
uncomfortable, or anything say something to someone. It gets back to
someone on the board and they will try to fix it, talk to people who
need talking to. These act as behind the scenes course corrections. Big
suggestion, ours had to be passed by a membership vote and there was a
big bullshit debate over it. *Don't be afraid to give your safe space
agreement teeth.* Removing people who are assholes most likely will not
pass a full membership vote, and is draining on everyone to have to deal
with. Trust in your board, make sure they reflect your ideas, and give
them the power to bar people. As inclusive as we are, the ability to be
selective fixes the 1% who inevitably will show up.