[hackerspaces] Hackers, feminism, and bullying

Yves Quemener quemener.yves at free.fr
Fri Jan 18 14:00:17 CET 2013

I can understand the dating sites thing, but the social network? I do not
find it awkward to add someone to my contacts if I had a 2 hours technical
discussion or working session with. It could be courting, sure, but it
could also be simple convergence of interests.

The one you propose seem even more unjustified and hard to enforce. When I
meet someone with interesting projects, it seems natural to google what he
or she did achieve in the past.

However, here is a proposal for women who fear they could be stalked online
: do as do many gray-to-black hats, political bloggers, and several
demomakers : use a pseudonym. If Mary Sue does not want to see a dozen geek
try to friend her on facebook, she can give another name (I however
consider it polite to mention it is a pseudonym but this may be just me).
Several persons (all males with a concern for privacy) did this. Our public
list of members only give their pseudonym.

I would argue that this rule, however, is more an anti-harassment rule than
a way to promote a more balanced gender ratio.