[hackerspaces] Women in Makerspaces

Danny O'Brien danny at spesh.com
Fri Jan 18 01:13:33 CET 2013

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 02:51:38PM -0800, Matt Joyce wrote:
> Cost nothing to be nice to each other.

To be specifically to the point that Matt made earlier about not wanting
to turn this list into noisebridge-discuss, and for those of you who
might not know Matt's history as an absolutely master troll (not an
insult: see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHqGV5WjS4w ) , I should
point out a couple of things:

Matt has popped onto nb-discuss in the past to (possibly not entirely in
good faith) warn us all about the dangers of feminism:
https://www.noisebridge.net/pipermail/noisebridge-discuss/2012-February/027916.html

Note the earlier link to Matt's previous comments on such things on this
list.

Also, and I know it annoyed Matt to mention this onlist last time, but
he's also been on noisebridge IRC channel's  rather exclusive ban list
for what I believe were similar sentiments. This doesn't mean he's not
welcome at Noisebridge -- there's a million people who claim to know
weev who are banned on IRC too, and we appear happy to have weev around.
It just means that he went on about this stuff for so long that our op
flipped the giant yawn hammer.

My point is, while I'm really excited by Matt's spontaneous involvement
in getting more women involved in OpenStack, GNOME, and New York in
general. It's always hard for someone who has overtly said that he has
trolled in the past about the role of feminism, and women in society to
convince people that he's doing what he does now in good faith.

Hopefully this explains why, had I milk up my nose when Matt said "costs
nothing to be nice to each other", that milk would currently be splayed
all over my monitor.

I've had enough online discussions with Matt now to really not know when
he is putting a point he genuinely believes across, or when he is just
adopting positions to manipulate his audience for his own amusement.

As long as his positions actually result in some positive results, I'm
hoping that other people are socially conditioning Matt more than he is
socially conditioning other people.

I'd encourage those who don't necessarily think Matt is saying such
things to make people nicer, but more to provoke some anger in who he
presumes are his opponents that will entertain him, and allow him to win
some sort of point by being the charitable calm one, to not engage.

I don't know Matt in real life, and I know lots of people who like me
and like Matt, so this isn't a personal thing, I hope. If it is, totally
happy to have white knight jousting match with Matt in real life at a
future date. My guess is that meeting him in meatspace is a lot less
frustrating than debating him online.

d.