[hackerspaces] Women in Makerspaces

rachel lyra hospodar rachelyra at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 00:41:44 CET 2013

It might be an artifact of your social position in Amerika, Mr. Joyce,
as a white cismale who presents heteronormatively, that you believe
'being nice' carries no added cost.

Or it's an artifact of my position that any dissent is automatically
regarded as socially unacceptable - since women are always supposed to
'be nice' and in fact in professional settings are statistically more
frequently punished, reprimanded, and fired for displaying the same
'assertive' behaviors which are rewarded in men.

When I find myself surrounded by people who evidence an informed respect
and understanding for me, my people, and the enormity of our oppression,
i find it

so

much

easier

to be nice.

Yes, in general, I think people should be nice.  Should women who are
being spoken to condescendingly be nice?  How nice?  How about people of
color who are being spoken to in a racist manner?  How about trans
people being subject to hate speech?  Where is the line?

I think *you* should be nice, because Amerika has heard plenty of your
flavor of truth.  I think I should be honest.

R.