[hackerspaces] How do you define quorum for your space?

Pete Prodoehl raster at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 15:53:03 CET 2013

Milwaukee Makerspace used to discuss issues at the Tuesday meeting, and
then have everyone vote on things (either online, or in person) but as
we grew, that became unwieldy, and eventually we moved to a 7-person
Board of Directors to help manage the decision making. Small decisions
are decided by the Board, like who to use for trash collection, or who
to choose as our ISP, and we welcome input from the members. For larger
decisions, the Board takes it to the membership as a whole for
discussion/comments/ideas and then the Board decides on it. We found
that most people want to show up and make things, and arguing about
every little thing needed to keep the space running was best left to a
small group. (Also the Board Members serve a one-year term, and they are
elected by the members.)

Pete