[hackerspaces] Is this a hackerspace?

Yves Quemener quemener.yves at free.fr
Wed Jan 2 20:46:06 CET 2013

Trying to explain what a hackerspace is, at the Lyon Open Lab, we ended up
explaining it as a place that produces projects that can be duplicated by
anyone with the right tools. The more I think of it, the more I think this
is the defining feature of the whole hacker/maker movement : produce
projects and give tools to reproduce them.

If you take this definition, some for-profits can qualify if they produce
things under free licenses. (and I do thing that Google has such a space)
On the other hand, non-profits that keep their know-how secret can not
qualify. A techshop would not be automatically eliminated : it all depends
on what its members create.

If it quacks like a duck...

I could see several categories but the one I would like to see on a map of
hackerspaces is "these places already published make/hack projects with
openly licensed blueprints". There could be also aspiring hackerspaces with
no finished projects yet, looking for new members to reach critical mass.