[hackerspaces] [wiki] TechShop

Edward L Platt ed at elplatt.com
Wed Jan 2 20:18:27 CET 2013

Looking at things like non-profit status, open/closed membership, and even
community governance, you will find plenty of bona fide hackerspaces that
fall on either side.

+1 For providing a better view of where a particular space falls on these
spectra, rather than quibbling about whether or not to label them as a
hackerspace.

Also, the last time this dead horse received a thorough beating, I recall
someone suggesting self-identification as a reasonable requirement.  So I
propose the following: we create a hackerspaces.org website badge (or maybe
one already exists) and if a space doesn't display the badge on their
homepage, they're fair game for removal (or not, do-ocracy style).

Happy hacking,
-Ed

Edward L. Platt
http://elplatt.com