[hackerspaces] Rent?

Mars Saxman mars at redecho.org
Thu Feb 14 18:32:46 CET 2013

On Feb 14, 2013, at 8:31 AM, Sam Ley wrote:

> WOW I wish I was in some of your markets! The Phoenix Asylum in Boulder, CO, pays $2774/mo for rent and utilities, which goes up to about $2900 when you include internet and insurance.

Yes, I am boggling a bit at some of the cheap rates people have mentioned.  ALTSpace in Seattle pays $3200/mo in base rent, plus ~$500/mo in utilities and insurance, for a space which is roughly 3000 square feet. It's a great location - clean and well lit and not exactly warm but at least not freezing, with two bathrooms and a kitchen. Many of our members live within walking distance, and I think we only have one member who has to drive more than ten minutes to get here.

We pay for it with a $200/month "pro" membership rate, which includes the option to set up a private workbench (not everyone takes this), and a $50/month "basic" membership rate. Current ratio is roughly half and half, and we've carved out about a third of our floor space for private use.

Like you, we have a management corporation, whose charter specifies that nobody gets to make money - it's not a 501(c)3, but we have been careful to establish the understanding that it is not being operated for profit, and that any surplus revenue goes back into the organization.