[hackerspaces] Rent?

Sam Ley sam.ley at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 17:31:14 CET 2013

WOW I wish I was in some of your markets! The Phoenix Asylum in Boulder,
CO, pays $2774/mo for rent and utilities, which goes up to about $2900 when
you include internet and insurance. That is for a 2300 sq. ft. warehouse
space, heated (but not cooled) with two bay doors. It is a real piece of
shit, too. ;)

That comes out to about $14/sq.ft./yr, including the NNN (triple net),
which is actually quite good for the area, and our last property search
turned up nothing better (and we evaluated a LOT of possible sites).

Our model is to have a relatively small number of members(18-22), give them
their own space in addition to common area, and charge a lot - about $200
for one person getting 100 sq. ft. of "personal" area (just lines on the
floor), with scaled costs for multiple people sharing space, or getting
more than 100 sq. ft. for your own benches. Over the course of a year we
pass around $35k through our coffers, so the job of treasurer is extremely
important (and difficult). We are a federal S-Corp, and a Colorado State
Non-Profit Corporation (NOT 501c3, but we get some state benefits such as
access to cheaper liquor licenses for fundraisers). The good news is that
we've been "in the black" for 4 years now (knock on MDF). "profits" such as
they are, are used for development and equipment for the common area - no
one takes a payment or distribution from the org.

I'd love to be in a market with cheaper property - Boulder has a lot of
benefits and is a cool town, but it has almost no post-industrial
infrastructure, and land values are absurdly high.

-Sam