[hackerspaces] Rent?

Ben Brown ben at kwartzlab.ca
Thu Feb 14 15:21:47 CET 2013

Membership dues is a straight $50/mo, for everyone (we currently have 40
members). We don't have any full-time 'employees' or anything like that.
We had long discussions about tiered/discounted memberships, but decided
that a one-size-fits-all fee allowed us to keep better track of our
monthly income. We also exchange membership fees for services though
(one member runs an ISP and provides Internet access in lieu of
membership).

The decision to move where we did recently was explicitly tied to our
monthly income, we didn't want to rent a space we would have to
subsidize outside of membership dues. That way donations and grants can
then go toward new tools and infrastructure (and lately, build-out of
our new space).

Ben