[hackerspaces] Cash flow?

Colin Galbraith colinm.galbraith at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 15:42:29 CET 2013

On the front of actually making more money, a lot of hackerspaces run a
mixed for profit/non-profit business model, even if they are a
registered non-profit.
basically there are two options, ask for it or get it in exchange for
goods and services
when asking for it: problem with this it is hard to find outside
donations or grants that cover day to day operations and overhead, this
is a problem even large established non-profits have. You can get money
to buy new fancy tools, but not money to pay someone to run those tools.
look for grants that may be available to you and go after them
for non-member donors, put together a targeted bid, develop the story of
your place and what mission it serves, get some hard numbers about your
community (are you helping to create jobs? people love to hear about job
creation), and get some written/recorded testimonials from people that
have gotten something positive from your community. Then do your
research and look for groups and private foundations that may be
interested in donating. Also, make sure your accounting structure is set
up to accept the donations!
Ideally, if you can build some sort of endowment, you can use the
interest to help cover cash flow gaps and never touch the principle
(this is a long way off I know, but something to aim for). Don't make
the mistake of thinking good buzz and money are the same thing, when you
make good impressions on people, ask ask ask for donations.

For goods and services, the standard 3 for hackerspaces are memberships,
space, and classes, you can always try to sell more or charge more for
them.
You can look into creating and selling merchandise on a regular basis or
as occasional one offs as a fundraiser. You can create donation tiers
where x number of dollars earns a t-shirt and a sticker, while y dollars
gets a name on a plaque somewhere.
You can set up an etsy store, or etsy style store, for your community
and sell things.
Can your community work with other local businesses to do fundraisers?
Can the community offer a service? Can you run a kickstarter or one of
the 10000 other crowdsourcing options?
Can your hackerspace offer free lectures to your community members to
help them become more financially stable in their personal lives
allowing them to donate more to your space?

Lot of different little methods to generate revenue and while many of
them will be small, every bit helps.

Colin