[hackerspaces] cash flow

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Tue Feb 12 09:29:00 CET 2013

James Broyles wrote, On 2013-02-12 00:13:
> Since it didn't occur to me that this might make accounting stressful, I
> assumed that as long as I wasn't late it would be fine.

It's actually two fold. In addition to becoming stressful for the
treasurer, there's the more common problem that people simply forget to
pay their membership fees or dues. You and I might be good about paying
our bills (well maybe you, totally not me) but one must remember that
most of us hackers kinda suck at being self sustaining functional sane
adults, and if there isn't some notification repeatedly poking our
brains with a stick to remind us to do something like mom used to do, we
tend to not remember and eventually forget that task. Eventually we
might remember when we notice there's a direct correlation to friends
wanting to come over and how over grown the muck is in the toilet, but
throw in a volunteering over worked and under appreciated treasurer, and
most likely whatever it was will stay forgotten.

Reoccurring payments eventually comes down to providing (insisting)
automation to hacker type people, who would simply not remember to pay
dues otherwise.

I've learned that typically those who prefer to pay manually by hand
month to month tend to stay on top of that. The ones that don't suck and
should die in a fire.

> Sorry for the spam, but this has helped me and hopefully our treasurer.
> Hopefully it helps someone else out there reading, too.

It's never spam if it's on topic. Welcome to the list.

--
Rubin
rubin at starset.net