[hackerspaces] question about hackerspace hourly rate, what do you think

Bob Bownes bownes at gmail.com
Thu Dec 19 23:42:34 CET 2013

Our model here at the Tech Valley Center of Gravity is a tiered membership.
Members pay a fixed rate monthly (no long term commitment) with a discount
for volunteering or they pay a one time fee and $15/day to use the facility
as Associate Members. The break even depends on what tier of membership
(Student, Regular or Super-User) but is generally about 3 days. Regular and
Associate members can come in during open hours (T,Th,Fr 6-10pm, Sat/Sun
2-10pm), Super-users get 24x7 access and storage space.

We also have an industrial membership category where a company can purchase
fixed or floating memberships for employees.

After 10 months of operation, we are at 160 members, with about 30%
Associate members, 37% Regular, 20% Super-User, 10% Student, and 3%
Industry.

Setting up a recurring payment system has been key in maintaining a
consistent revenue stream. One of our folks wrote some code to talk to
Seltzer (the membership system) to do the billing and it has been a
godsend.

Volunteers get $20/month off their base fee ($30 student, $60 Regular, $100
Super) for working 2 4 hour shifts a month. That's been quite popular.

Folks who want to do a class set their own fees and split it with the
space.

We also as an initial fund raiser auctioned off member numbers 0-10, and a
few vanity numbers (42, etc). Between that and some other things, we raised
about $6k at our soft opening.

We are also a 503c, so we can give folks a tax credit for donations of cash
and equipment (but not memberships).

Gotta be working ok so far as we just landed a $550,000 grant to buy and
renovate a building! More on that in a later post.

Bob