[hackerspaces] Fwd: boy scouts suing hacker scouts

John Keimel keimel at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 00:19:50 CEST 2013

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 4:04 PM, Sean Bonner <sean at seanbonner.com> wrote:

> Passing this on to the greater Hackerspace community to think about. A few
> things:
>
> 1 - The Boy Scouts have shown they don't give a fuck about public opinion
> so not sure this will make an impact

Your first point is simply wrong.

It is through public opinion and a changing tide of acceptance that BSA
recently changed its policy on gay scouts. It's through public opinion that
those who voted on proposed changes voted the way they did, to rescind that
long standing ban.

To your larger point of them protecting their brand, I do not agree with
what they're doing with this. It is odd how they choose to protect against
some organizations and not others. If they're going to be protecting the
brand identity against Hacker Scouts, I certainly hope they'll put the same
effort into protecting it against newly founded organizations like the
Scouts of St George and their ilk. I, for one, consider the "scout" moniker
too generic for protection in the way BSA likes to protect it.