[hackerspaces] Next steps -

David Francos me at davidfrancos.net
Mon Apr 15 08:48:19 CEST 2013

2013/4/15 Mark Janssen <dreamingforward at gmail.com>

> On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 6:36 PM, Petr Baudis <pasky at ucw.cz> wrote:
> >> Alternatively, Matt Joyce proposed to take them, why wouldn't that be
> >> a proper solution?
> >
> >   I don't know that many people from the global hackerspace community
> > so my first instict would be to ask Mitch Altman. :-) But quite possibly
> > Matt Joyce would be also a fine person to take care of the domain.
>
> As an former administrator myself, and as someone whose been quite
> satisified with the existing administration of hackerspaces.org (and
> used it), I have to advise caution in giving away an awesome domain
> name.  If you need to for financial or other personal reason, I urge
> you to draw up a simple agreement, signed by the new party, that you
> can re-possess the domain with 60 days notice, without explanation
> (something along those lines).

A domain is usually like 10€/year.
If the problem is financial, and current owner wants to keep it, just
saying "Hey, I can't afford paying hackerspaces.org anymore", and you've
got ten bucks in less than ten seconds with paypal donations.

Any hackerspace out there being itself a non-profit legally and large
enough?
That'd be probably the best idea, not a person, but a hackerspace
(non-profits can own stuff).

Our hackerspace is in the process of being a legal non-profit, but we're
only ~12 people.