[hackerspaces] Next steps -

James Carlson james at schoolfactory.org
Mon Apr 15 02:00:20 CEST 2013

Yves, we accept any space that is, in general:

* Not a private club i.e. there is some way a member of the public can
become a member of the space
* Not for profit
* In general supporting some level of learning activity by hosting or
offering at least one class or event periodically which is for members and
non-members to learn something or practice some skill (this could even be
open hack day.)

We also work with a lot of groups that are forming their space--in this way
we act like an accelerator to help new spaces form.

We do help spaces find grants; often it is the space that finds a grant and
then we help them make it bigger, or we find a grant that can apply for
many spaces and then, because the program or idea can apply in many cities
at once, we can enlarge what is being asked for and have a greater impact.

We also coach spaces and share between spaces the ideas that we can use to
raise funds without grants, such as event rentals, or sponsorships, or
other activities. The idea is to keep spaces financially sustainable
through a mixture of sources.