[hackerspaces] Next steps -

Yves Quemener quemener.yves at free.fr
Sun Apr 14 20:45:19 CEST 2013

> which involves admitting that none of us
> knows the perfect answer - and come up with a solution that most think
> will work

I am not sure if this will qualify as 1. or 2. but I still don't understand
the problem you are trying to solve. I think I read all the messages in
this discussion, and I only identified three things that could be solved by
a central entity :

A. centralization of legal resources (for which countries?)
B. giving a Goal, an Aim and an Inspiration to the hackerspaces of the world.
C. Give a sens of unity to the movement.

There has been other proposals, but all the other I have seen can be or are
currently solved by independent projects that it makes sense to rely on.

More importantly, I see no task that any hackerspace would be willing to
give money for, except maybe the legal help, but then again, the EFF may be
a safer bet if you are in US. IF you are targeting hackerspaces outside US,
are you ready to cover all the legal systems out there?

B. requires a charismatic leader or a strong driver in an awesome project.
This is a pre-requisite, you have to have it first before making a
foundation or council.

C. is actually doable without funds but has been attempted before. It could
take the shape of a charter (maybe a modular one, a la creative commons?),
that hackerspaces agree or not to follow. Fablabs actually have this sort
of things.