[hackerspaces] reliable 3d printer recommendations?

Ryan Rix ry at n.rix.si
Sat Sep 29 03:45:54 CEST 2012

HeatSync Labs has had the exact opposite experiences with our Ultimaker(s).

They have been fantastic pieces of machinery, frankly. I'm halfway through my
second 7h print at 200% today with what is essentially a stock printer on
stock firmware. When we got it there were some issues with the stepper drivers
on the board (two of them bluesmoked before we could calibrate them properly)
but the Ultimaker support team were entirely helpful and even let us bundle an
Ulticontroller with the steppers to save us shipping when that was released.

For everyone complaining, I hate to say that I feel lucky with how well our
Ultimaker works; it's definitely better than the ToM we had in our space
previously. I'm planning on upgrading it to a dualstrusion using some things I
found on thingiverse from protospace before the end of the year and am really
excited by it.

We purchased the machine because one of our members bought it and assembled it
in the space, and it was some of the highest quality prints we'd seen. This
was around when the Replicator was released, and the stock Ultimaker was
trumping stock Replicator pretty handily. The replicator has a lot of design
baggage that I think is limiting its development and progress long term, and
the Ultimaker solves a LOT of those engineering headaches.

--
Ryan Rix
http://rix.si