[hackerspaces] New Member Vetting

Sparr sparr0 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 16:52:47 CEST 2012

I'm not in any official capacity at either, but I've been part of two
different spaces.

The first was medium sized, around 50 members, ~5000sqft. New
prospective members show up to open events, classes, meetings, etc and
get to know some of the existing members. An existing member sponsors
the new member and they seek explicit approval from two other members.
Then after a few weeks of further getting to know them, the entire
membership votes. Every member has veto power over any new member.

The second is very large, a few hundred members, ~40000sqft. New
prospective members meet with the bookkeeping staff, sign some forms,
pay their dues, and get an access card.

There are pros and cons to both of these approaches, but I'll leave
those to hopefully upcoming posts from those two spaces official
representatives.