[hackerspaces] New Member Vetting

Red Davies noiddicle at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 16:22:14 CEST 2012

We have guests, members and key-holders.

Guest is someone who shows up, is signed in by a member who
effectively is responsible for them.
Members pay dues, can vote, can use almost all equipment unsupervised
(but can only be there when a key-holder is present).
Key-holders have 24hr unsupervised access to the space.

Process:
Guest decides to be a member.
Member stays in good standing for 3 months.
After 3 months, as long as there are no dissenting voices the member
requests and almost always gets key-holder access.

We believe that 3 months is enough time to get a feel for someone,
their fit and their sense of safety and ability to respect / follow
the community guidelines.