[hackerspaces] first time seeing tron

Walter van Holst walter at revspace.nl
Tue Sep 4 18:36:25 CEST 2012

On 9/4/12 4:16 PM, Frantisek Apfelbeck wrote:

> I just wonder if the “master control program (MCP)” was a kind of vision
> of “Windows” coming? Or was it a "generalisation" of "control versus free?"

Stallman hadn't come up with the GPL at that time. Even Windows 1.0 was
not out yet. And that was a rather limited layer on top of MS-DOS 3.x,
IIRC. Even GeOS and GEM were yet to come.

As others pointed out: it was more about classical mainframe concepts
versus the then brand new phenomenon of micro-computers, which let the
user decide instead of the high-priests of the mainframe and the mini.

Regards,

 Walter