[hackerspaces] Cool projects for TEDx talk wanted

Petr Baudis pasky at ucw.cz
Tue Oct 30 12:41:10 CET 2012

  Hi!

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 01:39:47AM -0700, Mitch Altman wrote:
> I'm writing my TEDxBrussels talk, which is due in a couple of days, and am wanting to add some example projects from hackerspaces in my talk, with a cool and/or weird and/or beautiful and/or cute (and/or otherwise eye-catching) photo for each.
>
> Anyone have any project (or know of any project), that has a photo that would impress non-hackerspace folks, and help the world take notice of hackerspaces?  If so, please send me a photo I can use, and a short description of the project.

  Few ideas of mine from brmlab:

  * http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6157/6168637877_b6524e3018_o.jpg
	(http://brmlab.cz/project/ratbox)

	Conditioning Chamber for Cognitive Experiments on Rats;
	cooperation with the Czech Academy of Sciences. It has a lot
	of high quality photos. (Note that the experiments involve
	no pain or other negative feedback - important aspect for
	some of us.) Based on brmduino, our own version of Arduino.

  *  http://www.flickr.com/photos/brmlab/7818666158/
	(http://brmlab.cz/project/ledbar)

	LedBar - modular system of very bright color-candy-producing
	boxes. We have them arranged in a single line and by default
	showing spectrogram of currently playing music. (Having many
	high-power LEDs spread over distance of few meters and all
	signalling etc. still working well was *much* trickier than
	we anticipated.) (One problem is getting good-looking photos
	and videos here, but we can try harder if you'd like to
	include this.) Based on brmduino, our own version of Arduino.

  * http://brmlab.cz/_media/project/fluffy-ball.jpg
	(http://brmlab.cz/project/fluffyball)

	A bit unusual computer input device that can distinguish
	fondling and punching.

  * http://img11.rajce.idnes.cz/d1102/7/7096/7096832_3e6482e71f188358c02f63379bc30da2/images/IMG_8864.jpg
	(http://brmlab.cz/project/ar_sandbox)

	Pile of sand. Colourful sand. But wait, the sand changes color
	as you build your sand castle! (Not entirely original, but we
	are working on taking this further, and it is very visually
	appealing.)

				Petr "Pasky" Baudis