[hackerspaces] What's your WiFi setup?

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Mon Oct 22 23:05:07 CEST 2012

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 1:59 PM, Matt Joyce <matt at nycresistor.com> wrote:
> Just chiming in.
>
> I've also heard about openwrt scaling issues.
>
> I know at nycresistor we had failures under large numbers of folks
> operating with the fonera2.0n units.  Work solid at home... but
> scaling... nopers.

Any idea what issues you or others were seeing? What was the bottleneck?

I'm curious, as I'm currently working on an OpenWRT-based access
network and haven't had any issues in the architecture.

Was it an issue with OpenWRT, or perhaps an 802.11 scaling limitation?
Maybe a manifestation of the hidden node problem?

The advantage to some of the more "enterprise"-ey systems is that they
can coordinate the configuration of many APs (either from a central
box, or in a distributed fashion), tuning radios to other frequencies
and deassciating clients as they get closer to other APs.

Cheers,
jof