[hackerspaces] What's your WiFi setup?

Felicitus felicitus at felicitus.org
Mon Oct 22 00:51:44 CEST 2012

> if you read the spec sheets, it's generally documented on consumer
> grade AP/routers that they support 20-25 clients max.

Usually vendors in the SoHo sector don't give an indication on how many
clients are supported. In our particular case, the WNDR3800, doesn't
have any number in their spec sheet [1].

It seems that there's some kind of bug in the ath9k chipset, as the 5GHz
band runs without problems.

> Cisco, buffalo,
> ubiquity, routerboard are but a few that have AP's that support more.
> trick is in reading the specs before you buy.

We have given the hint to look into the ubiquity unifi series. However,
the mixed 2.4GHz/5GHz model is too expensive for us, so if I can
convince our members, we most likely go for the unifi 2.4GHz model.

We aren't a premium hackerspace in terms of membership fees, thus we
can't buy hardware like companies do.

Also, specs are one thing, but experiences are another.

Regards
Felicitus

[1] http://www.netgear.com/images/WNDR3800_DS_04Oct1118-17620.pdf