[hackerspaces] [SpaceProgram] Transitioning to Google Groups

Aurélien aurelien at cwb.io
Sat Oct 6 09:59:21 CEST 2012

Bryan Bishop <kanzure at gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 7:26 PM, Alex Cureton-Griffiths <alexcg at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On the caretaker list we've been kicking around the idea of transitioning
>> our public list to Google Groups. We'd like to hear some feedback from you
>> guys before we decide whether to go ahead.
>
> Lately it seems like Google has been trying to kill their Google
> Groups product. I am sure some of you have noticed their new UI and
> how they deprecated almost half of the mailing list pages. The URL
> structure has changed dramatically; some of the "old" group pages are
> still using the previous version, but it looks like new groups are
> using the new javascript-heavy version (or however you prefer to name
> it).
>
> Why is this an issue? Well, for one, the javascript-heavy version is
> lacking a number of features from the original Google Groups. Pages
> like /about and /topics and /thread are completely missing. Although
> the RSS urls are still working, the links are gone and not advertised.
> Additionally, the "email to subscribe" text seems to be vanished as
> well, except in the footers of outgoing email which offers a helpful
> unsubscribe address.
>
> Honestly, I was sort of upset about their new URL structure. It sucks
> in comparison to the old links.
>
> Compare!
>
> old hotness:
> http://groups.google.com/group/diybio/msg/0bdf7ff01c79198a
>
> new lameness:
> https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!msg/diybio/_SLixhWFOzM/ihl5HPB_3wsJ
>
> Compare!
>
> old hotness:
> https://groups.google.com/group/openmanufacturing/about
>
> new lameness:
> https://groups.google.com/group/biohack-nyc/about
>
> Anyway, it looks like they are planning to deprecate a lot of these
> features, and maybe they will even force users off of email in the
> future. I certainly don't want to use their shitty forums. :-\
>
>> WHY TRANSITION?
>> * Loads of hackerspaces are already using Google Groups, meaning more
>> people know how to use it, thus lower barrier to entry
>
> Email is even lower barrier to entry.
>
>> * Much easier to read threads and do searches, so clearer communication
>> and less duplication
>
> My email client makes reading threads a pleasure. I also like
> searching mail with notmuch.
>
>> * We've been hearing comments about how bad Mailman is
>
> yeah, well, contribute a patch :-)
>
>> * Less chance of email overload, since Google Groups lets you subscribe by
>> thread. Less risk of email overload = less annoyance for new users
>
> I don't think information overload is a real thing. It's just
> something that people make up when they hate to configure their email
> clients, I think.
>
>> WHY NOW?
>> We're going to put out our press release and start publicizing SpaceGAMBIT
> [...]

Hi Hackers!

Well that is just one more proof that RMS was right about the fact that
Open Source misses the point ::
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html

And the trouble is not just about services or software but also
operating system.

Join us! You have a free distro for each great branch of distribution
from ArchLinux -> Parabola Ubuntu -> Trisquel Debian -> gNewSense
Fedora -> Blag

You are Free hackers! (at the time you have decided to become free!)

Join us! gnu.org

--
Aurelien DESBRIERES
Ride Free! Ride GNU.org