[hackerspaces] [SpaceProgram] Transitioning to Google Groups

Ricky Ng-Adam rngadam at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 05:57:45 CEST 2012

On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 11:39 AM, Bryan Bishop <kanzure at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 10:27 PM, Ricky Ng-Adam <rngadam at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Am I missing something? Google Groups doesn't exclude emails. We use
> Google
> > Groups in China for our hackerspace and the GG interface isn't even
> > accessible; people subscribe and unsubscribe using emails only.
>
> Do you mean they have a different front-end / or no front-end at all
> for different language Google Groups? Would you show me?

to subscribe to xinchejian (for example):

xinchejian+subscribe at googlegroups.com

...that's about all I've (and our members) needed from the email interface.
For anything else, I just use the VPN to hop the Chinese GFW and use the
management interface.

As for all the FUD of GG being "killed" by Google, that's highly unlikely
as GG is used as the tool to provide users support for all Google products
and they've actually invested massively to improve it.

Not to the taste of everyone apparently... But don't confuse taste with the
right thing to do, and change with "dying". Having both a rich web
interface to post and the ability to just receive/send posts by email is
very powerful.

--
伍思力 | Ricky Ng-Adam | linkedin.com/in/rngadam | (+86) 186-2126-2521