[hackerspaces] printablegun.com has it's 3d printer siezed

Stewart Dickson mathartspd at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 15:50:51 CEST 2012

Yikes.

There have probably been 3D CAD files for guns published ever since
the Quake game engine (1996) was open-sourced (date?) -- Although they
were certainly "toy" guns and never meant to be physically
fired.  But, how far is that stretch, really?   Yes, it is inevitable.
  Yes, you just have to count on your neighbors being excellent.

I came to a few realizations this morning.

1) Ronald Reagan in 1980 taught us that greed is good, economics is
war and it is a zero-sum game -- I can only win if everyone else
loses.

That teaching is categorically wrong and evil.

2) Decisions are nothing more nor less than a cascade of stochastic
quantum events.  (See Roger Penrose, "The Emperor's New Mind" --
Quantum Computational Graviton)

And it is continuous from the level of the individual to the
Koyaanisqatsi of the globe, itself.
If you can conceive of this in its Zen-Buddhist purity and entirety,
you have achieved enlightenment.  (Does a flat, blank Midwestern
landscape really enforce the impact of this realization?)

3) "It's judgment that defeats us."  (Major Kurtz, "Apocalypse Now")

And here is one more, from last week's Thingiverse open-source
hardware discussion:

The tools to make the tools to make the tools ... to make the product
is a recursive function:

Product(Tool(Tool(Tool(...  Tool(most primitive)))))

http://econoenigma.tumblr.com  -- This is why open-source hardware
will eventually converge with software.

Cheers,

-Stewart, http://tech-knowledge.tumblr.com