[hackerspaces] printablegun.com has it's 3d printer siezed

Matt Joyce matt at nycresistor.com
Tue Oct 2 03:03:11 CEST 2012

http://www.music-piracy.com/?p=472

This is something I wrote up following the ar lower receiver being
uploaded.  Which for all legal definitions is the ability to print an
automatic weapon off a 3d printer.

I stand by my original stance.  Thingiverse is a library of
engineering specifications.  An AR lower receiver is not ITAR data.
It's not super secret triggering mechanics for a nuclear weapon.  So I
say it's got all the rights to exist and be free as any book.

As for the printing of a gun.  It's no different from machining a gun
with your lathe at home.  Or CNC.  Or etc.

I would not be opposed to a mechanism equivalent to dot print on
commercial 2d printers that we have today.  I have no problem with
that idea at all.  But we can't do that currently.

So I say, freedom means trusting your neighbor to be excellent.  I
live in America and that means I believe in freedom.  So I say good
luck to the folks printing gun parts, I hope they stay safe and adhere
to all local laws.

That's it.

-Matt