[hackerspaces] How To Teach a Hackerspace Class?

Chris Weiss cweiss at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 15:49:54 CET 2012

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 12:04 AM, Jamie Schwettmann
<jamie.schwettmann at gmail.com> wrote:
> On this topic, I think it's totally worthwhile to decouple the idea of
> non-profitness from the idea of money/goods/ideas changing hands in general,
> especially in hackerspaces.

Yes.  BIG time misconception.  non-profits CAN make money, they CAN
charge for things, they CAN keep money in the bank, they CAN pay
instructors and speakers, and they CAN pay competitive wages to
employees.  The difference is that they CANNOT flat out give "profits"
to board members.  Profits need to eventually all go back into the
organization.