[hackerspaces] SpaceFED

Moritz Bartl moritz at hackerbus.eu
Mon May 28 21:56:38 CEST 2012

My thoughts on this?

Bullcrap.

Hackerspaces should be the front to fight for open wifi access without
any specific authentication. I do agree it would be nice if more spaces
used a unified passphrase, but then again different networks serve as a
reminder that, err, yeah, you're on different networks with different
ownership relations and (potentially) different usage policies. It might
not be the intention of its founders (and even participants), but
spaceFED scares me, because it screams authentication in pair with
membership, strange access rules, etc etc

A different but related, way more interesting project for me would be a
non-profit hackerspace VPN provider that hackerspaces (and mesh networks
like Freifunk, FNF, Guifi etc) can tune into, especially to cope with
local abuse (and strange country geoIP fuckups). I say this as a VPN
provider of some sort - we run some number of Tor exits as Torservers.net.