[hackerspaces] Spark 181 – Mitch Altman says hackers could raise $10mil

Matt Joyce matt at nycresistor.com
Thu May 10 19:31:21 CEST 2012

I know that nyc resistor pitched a grant proposal to the MacArthur
foundation probably in 2009 or so.  We had floated an idea nearly
identical to the hacker scout badges that adafruit and phil torrone (
of make ) have come up with as well.  We did not get the grant.
Which to my mind is a pity.  It would have been pretty great.

I really think that a hacker scouts style approach is the right way to
go about it.

If you want to have a real impact on a kids education and
opportunities the goal is to engage the parents as well as the kid.
It should be a shared experience.  That's all there is to it.

-Matt