[hackerspaces] Creating a hackerspace...

Matthew Dumas matthew.dumas at ripplecomputing.com
Sat Mar 31 15:31:59 CEST 2012

So, I've been thinking a lot recently about how to get hackerspaces to
people without them.

It seems to me that the current model should be viable, but isn't due to
the large spread of hackers, and the fact that most are not within an easy
drive of the spaces. I, personally, have wanted to be a part of one for
quite a while now, but the nearest one is over an hour away, and I've got
better equipment in my bedroom.

While thinking about this, I think I might have stumbled upon a solution. I
would like to create a virtual hackerspace with access to real equipment.
The idea is that there would be a website that provides access to project
management tools, software configuration management, hardware configuration
management (a slightly different system.. I've got ideas), a
videoconference server with recording capability, and a learning management
system for actual courses. I've always had a passion for teaching, so I'd
love to bring the LMS up to snuff, and from the beginning, I'll be using
the ABET guide so we can have accredited courses in the future. In addition
to all of that, I'd like to provide a web store with "Home Laboratory
Kits." As I've said before, I've got a lot of equipment, and have been
making myself metal-cased portable laboratories for quite a while, I think
it would be easy to source and sell these kits.

On the physical side, I'd like to provide access to a tech fab shop which
will be open only for online use, at first. The idea would be that you've
paid for membership, now you just pay for materials (at whatever markup is
needed to fund the shop), upload your design, and have it made by a
professional engineer. In order to do this right, you'd have to upload your
firmware to a specialized CM repo for integration with the programmers, and
your hardware designs to two different hardware CM systems (one for
casings-- 3d printing, one for boards-- 2 sided milling). If it is popular
enough, and people wanted full scale manufacturing, I'd love to provide
that level of complexity to hackers, but for starting out, I think it would
be better to limit the manufacturing to prototypes that could be taken to
other full manufacturing plants for product runs.

What do you guys think about this, is it worth pursuing? Obviously, unless
some angel investor is reading this, and wants to give me lots of money, I
won't be able to start big, I'll have to pick something and start with
that. So, I will start with the LMS since I have a lot of experience in
teaching and with a particular LMS, and while that's being developed, I'll
work on the config management modification for hardware.

If there's any support, I'll start getting plans ready for building a
kickstarter page to finance the development of the first course.The first
course that I think would be best is a hands-on arduino course. It will
consist of a software and a hardware track. I'll be happy to give you more
information if you're interested.

All comments welcome, along with suggestions, ideas, counterpoints, and
anything else that might be of value!
-M