[hackerspaces] Guy I met is trying to build a unified transhuman group

quemener.yves at free.fr quemener.yves at free.fr
Sat Mar 3 12:17:38 CET 2012

> Hmm, these sites/communities? are new to me, but isn't this just
> people looking into alternative interfacing techniques? There have
> been people playing with rfid and magnetic implants for atleast 14
> years now, but 'trans' human? A magnet in your finger doesn't make
> you
> less or more human then prosthetic would.

My understanding is that these groups are a reaction to the "bleeaarg,
 creepy!" reaction that some people have toward non-medical prosthetics.

> Are these serious groups? it sounds a lot like people dreaming about
> flying cars a few decades a go.

Yes, that is my criticism as well. Many such groups dream, talk about
philosophy and legal issues but don't get actual things done.

> Sure there is an ethical/political
> debate to be had/fought regarding body modifications, but does it
> require a movement at this point? Or is it more about finding
> like-minded people(that's how I see it)? And is this an 'US thing' or
> international?

I don't think it is too early to start a debate. If we had started debating
the place of culture on internet and how copying data would the change the
way authors can be retributed, we would have prevented the really silly
conflict that is happening right now.

That's why I think we should not wait for the technology to be available to
encourage debate about things like 3D printing on the copying of objects or
the legality of providing surgical implants that are not medically required.