[hackerspaces] Startups from Hackerspaces

Jerry Isdale isdale at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 03:21:45 CEST 2012

I'm preparing some presentations, posts, etc on how hackerspaces have helped create new businesses around the world.  The classic case is Makerbot coming out to NYC Resistor and getting $10mil investment within 3 years.  Another is BucketWorks fostering over 70 businesses in 10 years of operation.

I am looking for more examples as well as some stories about how spaces help create new businesses.
The basic story is someone comes to a space, sees the tech, talks with others, together generate a business idea, prototype it and start up.  A variant is people come to the space with an idea and talk with others about how to make it happen.

Have spaces run programs to help startups? for example classes in writing business plans, managing money, finding funding, etc?

How do spaces deal with IP (intellectual property) for startups?

Part of this is to contrast our spaces with the Startup Incubator and Accelerators.  Those places often require an application for admission, have month long programs of classes and mentorship, and put participants in front of Venture Capitalist and other funders.  Many incubator/accelerators will take a percentage of ownership in the company.

Jerry Isdale
isdale at gmail.com