[hackerspaces] 501c3 and hackerspaces in the US

James Carlson james at schoolfactory.org
Tue Jul 10 03:47:48 CEST 2012

Awesome insights, Will.

As to the question about members starting and/or running for-profit
businesses from the space, this again should not run counter to the 501c3
rules. (It may run counter to the culture or values of the space, but
that's another matter for the community to decide.)

Many business incubators are themselves non-profit organizations, because
they consider their mission to be an educational one related to supporting
new business formation. At Bucketworks <http://www.bucketworks.org> in
Milwaukee, many of our members have created/are creating 'jobs' for
themselves that more fully express their creative and intellectual
passions. Sometimes these become startup businesses that end up graduating
out of our space; sometimes they stay because the job is really just a part
of the lifestyle.

Since we are fulfilling our mission by supporting these activities,
offering these members access at lower than market rates for the value, and
not taking a cut of their success, the IRS policies support the activity.

A key underlying principle of 501c3ness is 'making financial information as
transparent as possible'--this helps board members and even members of the
community spot problems before they become problems.

You spoke about a bad experience hitching with another 501c3. The School
Factory sponsors 18 spaces scattered around the country, and we're always
trying to improve how/what we do (since we also manage and run a space we
are very connected to this and want to do it well.) Without breaking
privacies and such, what can you share about your experience?