[hackerspaces] spread spectrum para-Internet?

B F bakmthiscl at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 17:44:05 CET 2012

Here we go!  Quoth Wikipedia, "Low-voltage differential signaling, or
LVDS, is an electrical digital signaling system that can run at very
high speeds over inexpensive twisted-pair copper cables. It was
introduced in 1994, and has since become very popular in computers,
where it forms part of very high-speed networks and computer buses."

Okay, so manufacture barbed wire (which is twisted pair, remember)
that is inherently insulated by some means, and sell it with a subsidy
to anyone who will use it for long-distance fencing AND be willing to
connect it to a communication node at either end.  Heck, it might even
be possible to save the rancher some of the need to "walk fence" by
pin-pointing where a break occurs.

Maybe insulated copper-clad cable would suffice rather than copper
wire.  Or maybe there are other inexpensive solutions to getting good
conduction.  Or maybe forget this idea and just string some cheap wire
or optical fiber along existing fence lines or other rights of way,
and use them at whatever speeds they can handle.