[hackerspaces] spread spectrum para-Internet?

James Arlen myrcurial at thinkhaus.org
Thu Feb 16 14:13:24 CET 2012

On 2012-02-16, at 7:35 AM, Walter van Holst wrote:

> On 2012-02-16 12:16, James Arlen wrote:
>
>> Rural isn't as easy as you might think -- I'm Canadian, pretty much
>> all we have is rural in a way that europeans just can't grasp :)
>
> You should visit the Scandinavian countries sometime. Not all of Europe is as bloody densely populated as the BeNeLux countries.

They're absolutely on my list - one of these days… you know, in my spare time. :)

I'm also guilty of playing the "Canada" card even though I live in one of the more densely populated parts of North America - right in the middle of it all ;)

I think that this idea is easier in densely populated areas because of things like optical interconnections and the sheer quantity of people who'd like to give it a try.

>> Self-powered wifi repeater packages have been in use in rural
>> environments for upwards of a decade - I have a reference design that
>> I implemented a few of kicking around somewhere in the archives. You
>> run into latency issues as you add hops, which brings us back to "when
>> you say internet, do you mean "network of connected networks" or "just
>> like the commercial high-speed, graphical Internet" -- if FTP-by-mail
>> is acceptable (and it was for me 20 years ago) then you don't really
>> care about latency.
>
> I think that is about what the ambition should be: something Fidonet-like. But without the pesky rules of that forgotten network.

I've often wondered about offering a "Recent History of Inter-organizational Networks" class at the hackerspace - I get the feeling that there are lots of people working on re-inventing a wheel that we used to enjoy the regular use of.