[hackerspaces] Fwd: Copper Through hole plating

M dblmca at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 09:14:42 CET 2012

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 11:37 PM, Andrew Frazer
<andrew.frazer at stellascapes.com> wrote:

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: Andrew Frazer <andrew.frazer at stellascapes.com>
> Subject: Re: [hackerspaces] Copper Through hole plating
> Date: 11 December 2012 8:33:10 PM NZDT
> To: Hackerspaces General Discussion List <discuss at lists.hackerspaces.org>
>

> Thanks for the quick response!
>

> Its a very small amount.. in the neighborhood of 10~50ppm.
>
> (b) Can anyone make a suggestion as to where i can purchase Janus Green B
>

>> Its normally very expensive.. but it seems to be on sale at our local
>> supplier.
>> https://www.spectrumchemical.com/OA_HTML/chemical-products_Janus-Green-B_JA110.jsp?minisite=10020&respid=22372
>

> I've found another  supplier on line, 5g is about $22, so, that sounds
> pretty good.   I don't' need much, so a little bit is going to go a long
> way.
>

>> The solution works very well the first couple of times, but I had
>> issues with trying to keep the solution working properly over an
>>extended period.  I should probably have taken a pH reading when I
>> started and tried to get the solution to stay at that level.
>

> Do you have any idea of what might cause the system to stop working?    I'm
> going to be operating with about 30L of solution, so, hopefully thats going
> to help me in terms of getting a bit more life out of it.    If there was
> some PH variation how would you go about adjusting it?

http://www.thinktink.com/stack/volumes/volvi/trblshtcu.htm

I was using these methods to correct for variations in the plating
between extended periods of disuse.

It was probably some sort of contamination... but I never tracked it
down to one thing.
Also never got a hull cell to check how the organics were holding up.

> I'm in LA quite regularly ( was there two weeks ago ) and if the chance
> comes up i'd love to come and visit NSL,   we sort of have something
> similar, though it seems you're a whole lot more organised than us!

You should definitely stop by.  And no... we aren't very organized...
its more of a 'managed chaos'.

Cheers,

 -M