[hackerspaces] How To Teach a Hackerspace Class?

Will Bradley bradley.will at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 21:23:04 CET 2012

Chris' mill class was great, by the way. I taught a second class a few
weeks after his first one, and I have to agree that going over the basics,
then giving each student ample hands-on while connecting the dots and
filling in info is a great way to do it.

In larger situations like soldering classes, we tend to have one teacher
and a number of helpers, perhaps one per 2-5 students, to assist with
individual questions and deal with issues like broken equipment or letting
the teacher know to slow down / speed up. A small briefing of helpers
beforehand tends to be all that's required.

Side note, we use guestlistapp for our class registration and Google
calendar for all scheduling. We have a draft wiki article on how to run
workshops too: http://wiki.heatsynclabs.org/wiki/Workshop_Policy It's not
great (too formal for my taste), but it outlines the basic idea. I prefer
checklists and tutorials to policies.

Does anyone have software that lets instructors schedule, announce, and
manage their own classes? We want to reduce volunteer involvement in
paperwork and increase the regularity of classes.