[hackerspaces] tv show pitches

Matt Joyce matt at nycresistor.com
Fri Dec 7 02:16:54 CET 2012

Over the years NYCR has seen it's fair share of pitches.

In fact, at least one of our members actually aired his own Pilot on
history channel.  Still amazed that didn't get picked up.  Guess
people want to hear about bible aliens and the such more.

But what we have learned is a few constants.

First, the people who reach out to talk about projects are flakes.
Most of the inquiries we get go nowhere whether we are interested or
not.

Second, just because it was filmed doesn't mean it won't end up in
some warehouse till rats eat it.

Third, just because it was filmed doesn't mean it won't be masterfully
edited into something vastly different from what was portrayed or
agreed upon.

Fourth, some people will be trying very hard to take advantage of you.
 Reality shows in general tend to go out of their way to falsely
infuse drama into anything they do.  Some go so far as to inspire it
by forcing film schedules that stress people as far as they can.

You figure out what that means for you.  You are adults, mostly.

Anyways, that's just what I've seen.

-Matt