[hackerspaces] Sigh -- I'm not helping with Maker Faires this year.

Al Jigong Billings albill at openbuddha.com
Tue Apr 3 05:45:06 CEST 2012

On Monday, April 2, 2012 at 8:35 PM, Don Ankney wrote:

> It's hard to point this out without sounding like a troll (and I'm really trying not to), but DARPA funding is pretty closely tied to the origin on the Internet. I honestly don't understand the objections for grants such as Maker Faires.

This has no bearing on the objections people have being associated with the military and projects that may be used by the military for their ends.

 The creation of the Internet was a long time ago.

> For the Internet, the DARPA funding is acceptable because we believe in the end result of the funding. How is Maker Faire any different? It's not as if the Faire has the potential for being weaponized.

"Acceptable" to you, perhaps. Not to others here.

Do we really need to go round and round about this again?

Many of us won't take money from the Department of Defense for our work which can then be freely repurposed to military uses. Period. It doesn't matter what kind of dress you put on the pig.

Being associated with DARPA also legitimizes their tactics of cooping the grassroots Maker movement. Many of us also disagree with that as well. The military can go build their own hackerspaces.

Al