[hackerspaces] Pirating Linux

Angus Gratton gus at projectgus.com
Tue Apr 3 03:29:28 CEST 2012

On Tue, 3 Apr 2012 01:15:46 +0200
Yvan Janssens <ik at yvanj.me> wrote:
> Is it possible to retreive the GPL part from the manufacturer, and extract
> the required binaries out of the device, to use them on the same device?

The catch is that, even though this happens all the time (especially
for Android as pointed out), this is usually not permitted by the
licensing agreement on the device, so if you distribute the binary parts
you're technically pirating yourself.[1]

There are a few exceptions, for instance in Android-land Google
distribute the OpenGL driver binaries for the Nexus S with a
non-commercial redistribution clause[2], or (I believe) the Adreno GPU
drivers for Qualcomm Snapdragon chipsets are similarly available.

- Angus

[1] Whether anyone cares is a different question, I guess.

[2] Although their license still requires you to agree to only use it
on Nexus S branded phones & with the Android OS, only.