[hackerspaces] Pirating Linux

Matt Joyce matt at nycresistor.com
Tue Apr 3 01:09:16 CEST 2012

The broadcom SOCs tend NOT to be open source.  While linux the kernel
and probably their wrt ripoff os is likely covered by the GPL or some
similar license... the broadcoms require proprietary binaries to
operate.

Thus lack of general support existing in openwrt or dd-wrt.

This likely could have caused them some confusion.

Fonera's 2.0n models for instance are broadcom... and they release a
fully buildable openwrty derivative.   But they cannot release source
for working with the broadcom SOC.

Such is life.

Also this could be a point of confusion for the manufacturer.  And in
defense of your cable company... they probably literally don't know
it's linux under the hood.  They are just white labeling and reselling
another vendors product.

Ignorance may not be an excuse but it's sometimes hard to catch things
like this.

-Matt