[hackerspaces] Cleanliness in your Hackerspace?

Will Bradley will at heatsynclabs.org
Fri Sep 23 00:26:50 CEST 2011

We have member boxes/lockers/tables and I train each new member where the
cleaning supplies are, how to take out the trash, what happens when stuff
gets left out (lost n found, hacked apart, thrown away), and why futzing
with the lab equipment will earn shame. This has done wonders toward getting
everyone on the same page. If there aren't designated areas for various
needs and clear expectations for how to use them (we spray painted KEEP
CLEAN on our workbenches, to moderately-improved effect) then each person
will of course behave quite differently. Training each member to clean up
and in fact remind others to clean up has probably contributed as well.

There will always be inconsiderate, lazy, or "in a rush / just for five
minutes" people but I consider our method a success because we no longer
have random unidentifiable projects occupying half a workbench for weeks. We
have dozens of people in the lab daily, and 2000 sqft to keep clean, and
there haven't been many days lately where I can't work due to a mess,
usually minor stuff like bits being left in a drill or a member temporarily
occupying more table space than necessary.
On Sep 22, 2011 1:34 PM, "Lokkju Brennr" <lokkju at gmail.com> wrote:
> We have definite cleanliness issues, primary from a lack of structured
> times and activities in the space. So far I've found no solution, but
> I keep hoping to find someone with extremely bad OCD, and offer them
> free membership *grin*.
>
> Loki // BrainSilo
>
> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 1:31 PM, Sascha Kaupp <h0uz3 at foto23.com> wrote:
>> Thanx anyone for your thoughts.
>>
>> I guess I will work hard on the "reverse broken window theory", like:
Finding enough people who are eager about cleanliness and keep everything
really tidy and encourage others to do just the same.

>> People here won't be very happy with a webcam, _especially_ the people I
experienced as very tidy in the past. Therefore I think this wont work here.

>> Mars posted a nice set of rules for the room. Reminds me of the ruleset
we had for our space before we moved, think that should be reengaged.