[hackerspaces] Any 501c3 groups have their narrative description available?

Don Ankney dankney at hackerco.de
Sat Sep 17 01:08:54 CEST 2011

Below is our first draft - we're planning on attaching letters from folks in
the community who have gotten jobs through training and networking at the
lodge.

-----------------------------------

Black Lodge Research is a Washington State Non-Profit Corporation dedicated
to education and research in technology.

Though our charter is broadly focused on technology, our focus is
cyber-security. Training in this in-demand industry is often prohibitively
expensive. The community we serve is comprised of both established security
professionals and individuals looking to enter the field.

We serve this community in two ways. The first is through direct training.
We provide classroom instruction and tutorial labs in common practices,
technologies, and techniques. For job seekers, this builds foundational
skillsets required to enter the profession. For established professionals,
it provides both teaching and learning opportunities to develop expertise in
new specialties and sharpen existing skills.

The second way we serve our community is through networking opportunities.
The research portion of our charter pairs professionals from across the
region with job seekers to investigate emerging threats and evaluate new
security techniques and technologies.

As an example, we recently spent some time examining HTTPS/SSL.  There have
been multiple issues with SSL in the media over the past year. We both
provided a tutorial into exactly how the protocol works on a technical level
and examined the merits of a proposed alternative system.  Participants who
were not familiar with the protocol or the problems gained a deep
understanding of the protocol and engaged in a technical discussion with
recognized subject matter experts on potential solutions to an emerging
threat.