[hackerspaces] New Hackerspace Encouragement - What are your humble roots that got your space off the ground?

Will Bradley will at heatsynclabs.org
Wed Oct 12 17:25:06 CEST 2011

Likewise, among the founders of HeatSync (I came in later) there was lots of
talk and attempts, but the real start came when we went around to local
groups and found other interested people. Got their contact info and held a
meeting in a fraternal police lodge. From there, biweekly meetings at the
lodge evolved into meetings at a coworking space and then weekly themed
hacknights. Finally we outgrew the coworking space and signed a 2yr lease on
2000sqft which is now packed 4mo later.

The biggest reasons for our success, I think, are having a passionate bunch
of core people, and people committing to showing up and hacking at a
publicized date and time regardless of who shows up. Sometimes you'll meet
the coolest people five minutes before you leave. When something needs to
happen like paying rent or updating the website, core people need to be
ready to step up.