[hackerspaces] Starting a hackerspace ( Winchester Va)

Mel mel at hackersouverts.fr
Wed Oct 12 16:45:41 CEST 2011

Uplifting advice, especially as I was considering dropping trying to take
Hackers Ouverts anywhere on the streets or upgrading its legal status in any
way. I'll give it another thought and see where to go from here - thanks
Deech.

M.

2011/10/12 Deech <deech at ninjacow.net>

> DON'T GIVE UP!
>
> My best advice above. The other advice is that the people are there. You'll
> be amazed at the solitary tinkers that come out of the woodwork when they
> find out you're around.
>
> The others in this thread give great advice. Listen to it. :)
>
> Other comments that I didn't see above:
>
> Getting the word out is important. However, make sure you have something to
> show them when they do show up. Hackers won't be interested in joining up
> with someone that doesn't hack, so keep on working on whatever projects you
> have. At AR, our best times are when people just put their heads down and
> start working on something, it nearly always attracts interest and more
> people up to the space to see what's going on or to help out.
>
> Be prepared to recruit across the age spectrum. Our youngest hacker is 19.
> Our oldest is somewhere around 65. Everyone has something to teach and
> something to learn.
>
> Be prepared to roll with the flow of your members. Remember, the space
> isn't about what *you* personally want it to be. It's about what all the
> *members* want it to be. Our space now is nothing like I envisioned it back
> before we rented our first space. In some ways, it's a bit messy for lack of
> a clear vision. In others, it's infinitely more awesome because it grows
> organically, and things come together in ways that we never would have
> expected.
>
> And, finally, remember that nearly all these great spaces on this list
> started with some permutation of "A couple guys in the food court talking
> about how cool it'd be if..."
> If you want it to happen, you can make it happen. :)
>
> -Deech

Hackers Ouverts - Hackerspace nomade en Île de France
http://www.hackersouverts.fr/
<http://www.hackersouverts.fr/>http://twitter.com/hackersouverts