[hackerspaces] Career Networking

Yves Quemener quemener.yves at free.fr
Mon Oct 10 13:37:25 CEST 2011

I'd really love to have feedback on people who set up a Vermont virtual
company.

> Well sorry I don't have a better answer than being freelances, but
> that's a really interesting subject.
> btw french "associations loi 1901" can have employees.
> Foundations maybe world-wide ?
> How does greenpeace works? (for example) I think they're based in
> Amsterdam and pay their employees normally...(?)
>
> my 2 centavos. any one has infos on that?

French associations can indeed have employees but providing a commercial
service under this status is considered illegal. I don't know how they
can make a difference, but I guess that this is not the ideal structure.

>From what I know, Greenpeace can exist worldwide in the same way any
multinational corporation can exist : they set up structures in every
country they operate in, and in the case of companies, the HQ structure
owns the shares of the other structures (but I guess that more complex
set ups exist to evade the IRS... er, I mean to "optimize" fiscality.)
They are big enough to have administrative staff in every country, but
that means that they open up a structure in a country only once they
have 5 or so militants there.

Similarly, a company will create a structure in a country only if it
needs to manage 4 or 5 people there. There seems to be no way to simply
have a 1 person in one country working in a foreign company. Google
tried to do that (hiring people in Europe under Irish work law, IIRC)
but they have come under legal fire for that practice.

I think a lot of projects exist out there that cannot start for lack of
a legal structure that allows a small number of people from different
countries to share a profit.

I would be very interested in a discussion about how to set up a
framework to make such projects possible. Where are the legal hackers ?
We have many tools to make it possible but I think it requires a special
handling of every nation's legal context. Has this work ever be done ?
How can we avoid duplication of efforts ?