[hackerspaces] Out with the "hackers"... In with the, "makers" and the "fixers"

Matt Joyce matt at nycresistor.com
Wed Nov 30 03:33:53 CET 2011

And as I said earlier... by all means DO THAT.  But I don't want you to
write off all forms of government research or service simply because of the
nebulous fear your work may be misused by others.  You need to choose the
path that's right for you.  We all have differing moral compasses and we
all see the options before us from a different perspective.  But we do each
and every one of us need to take some time occasionally to reflect upon the
work we do and whether or not we really do believe in it.

I have a general rule of thumb when it comes to making tough decisions.
Make the best choice I can at the time.  Go with it until I have reason
enough not to.  If it turns out for the worst, I may not be happy about it,
but I can't regret making the choice I did, because at the time I believed
it was the best choice I could make.

Does that work in practice... for the most part it does.  But as I said...
it doesn't mean you are happy with the choices you make.  It just means you
have one less regret ripping you apart should things go to hell.

I think that's the best any of us can really hope for.  Spider man was
right... with great power comes great responsibility.  We live today.  And
because of that we are responsible for what we do.  But we can't let that
paralyze us either.  Hackers gotta hack.

-Matt