[hackerspaces] Out with the "hackers"... In with the "makers" and the "fixers"

B F bakmthiscl at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 06:37:31 CET 2011

You miss the point entirely.  Makerspaces (aka, "hackerspaces") are
good things with tremendous potential for educating people.

By using the term "hacker" you drive people away without ever getting
a chance at recruiting them.  All over a word.  Is that what you want?

You may assert that you don't want these "mindless dweebs" in your
spaces anyway.  A very adolescent attitude.  You won't get a chance to
find out what these people have to offer because they never get a
chance to get started with you.  All over a word.

Yes, maybe if you are all very persistent you can get the world to
accept "hacker" as a neutral term, expunging its negative reputation.
Good luck.  You'll need it.

In the meantime, some of use will persist in using other terms, like
"maker" or "fixer", so as not to drive people away before they even
get to meet us.

I simply do not see a need for people to overcome their legitimate
revulsion to what they understand "hacking" to be -- what it's defined
to be in all forms of media they're exposed to, day in, day out --
before they can be introduced to what these spaces are really about.

Rather than your expunging the reputation of "hackers", I would not be
at all surprised if, in another few years, the public recognizes two
different populations:  makers/makerspaces as "good" and
hackers/hackerspaces as "evil".  They'll be wrong, perhaps, but the
public is wrong about a lot of its opinions, and has always been so.
That's not going to change.